I dyed my hair pink. The reason?
Well, it’s very, very true the way of saying “Third time’s a charm“
My first time dates back to 2014. I, a huge fan of RHCP, I find myself looking hypnotized in the video Look Around a model (Charlotte Free) with pink hair dancing to the rhythm of music. That’s where I thought “I want to be like her”. HERE the video, btw https://youtu.be/WnisBb2rVOg
However, this “rebellion” lasted less than expected. One summer. I enrolled in Venice, faculty of business administration, and unfortunately this was not frowned upon. Back to blonde for 2 almost two years. I literally run away from that university, I didn’t like everything (and when I say everything is really all), so much that it took me a year to visit again my Venice.
And in 2016 I decide to move to Milan, best choice ever. Four months to settle in with a new university, new friends, first washing-machines outside home, and why not, new life = new me, let’s go back to pink! I still remember my mother’s expression and her phrase “But once wasn’t enough to you ???” #LOL
The pink in question broke the record of lasting, a year and a half, what a joy! But we know that at a certain point that “but” always arrives and mine has arrived with the awareness of being in the last year of university.
Therefore with final project presentation, as my experience teaches that “L’abito (putroppo) fa il monaco” (an italian way of saying, we might translate with “the dress unfortunately makes the monk”, funny thought. It means this: the way look like is affecting your performance), I decided to banned pink hair – again. Let’s all say together Hello to a Carlotta back to the origins all brunette. We are in September 2018.
A year later. September 2019, back to pink. FINALLY. When people ask me what my original hair color is I always think pink, and then I say “pink”.
Since I made myself pink again I have summarized these points that ALWAYS happen, experienced in each phase of these last years:
- Many think that, just because you walk around with pink hair, you are as brave as a lion, original and sought after. They too would like to do it but they lack the audacity and therefore you are very cool. Stop.
- A small minority thinks that the hair stylist has raised the temperature of the helmet too much and has burned your brain. They don’t tell you, but you understand it with their raised eyebrow. For sure.
- People are attracted to pink hair. I caught more sneaky glances and transversal attempts at approaching with pink than ever.
- It is not easy to decode the looks on your head. They might want to say “Wow, look at that, what a bravery!” What a personality! I like it! “But also” Help, but is that a woman or the grown-up version of a Sailor Moon’s character? ” If in doubt, proceed with head held high.
- Women will unconditionally approve. The admiration of women for your new hair will be manifest. For any woman deciding to upset the look of her hair is more difficult than giving up a pair of designer shoes on sale at 50%. Maybe pink is a color that would look terrible on them, but you were brave to do it and for this you deserve all their esteem.
- I feel more confident than ever. Showing the world my most non-conformist and original part gave me a boost of self-esteem, which has been accompanying me since that moment.
- I feel accepted (and if someone does not accept me, who cares). Now I work in a sector where creativity and personal expression are encouraged (in most cases) or otherwise accepted willingly. So I decided to take this step with great serenity. If I had to go to a job interview with pink hair I think I would be at ease. This is me and I’ll show you right away. Take or leave.
- Pink hair never leaves you indifferent. And I’m very happy about it. The main reason I dyed my hair pink is because I wanted to be noticed
- Everyone wants to have their say. And I want to know what my best friends think about, the girl waiting for the tram with me, the work colleagues.
- Every outfit I wear, even the most basic one, becomes interesting. I can assure you that no fashion accessory can do this magic!
So, summing up, to dye or not to dye?
I am happy to have done it and in doubt I write you: do it!
The color fades away quickly, while the feeling of freedom and euphoria remains for a long time.
And then, if you really don’t like yourself, in a couple of hours you can get dyed by a beautiful brunette colour and go back to confusing yourself in the crowd.